Re: UTF-16 in gtkmm?

On Sat, 2008-05-17 at 22:58 +0200, Andreas Volz wrote:

> Thanks, I'll try it. Any ideas why there's no glibmm wrapper for that?

I think it probably arises from the fact that the size of the character
used by std::wstring is not guaranteed by the standard, so a std::string
to std::wstring conversion would be system dependent.  In addition, it's
only really relevant to windows programmers, as UTF-8 interfaces are
becoming pretty well ubiquitous for unix-like systems.

Certainly, any sane new use of unicode these days would either employ
UTF-8 (multi-element representation with an element size of 1) or
UCS-4/UTF-32 (fixed size of 4).  UTF-16 is in the "worst of all possible
worlds" category.

Chris