treeview/treemodel with 100K's elements

Hi,

Playing around with the treemodel, I've discovered that adding a lot of items
to the model can become slow, if the number of added items is big enough
(>20K on my PC).

So, is there any way to implement a 'lazy' tree model? By lazy I mean:
1. load only the nodes for the items that are currently displayed, without
2. add an 'expander' image if the item has children
3. load the children when the node is expanded

An alternative to 2 and 3, if 2 is not possible would be to load only the
first children and delay the loading of the remaining children till the node
is expanded.

Any ideas or recommendations?

Thanx.

Johnny