Re: Further gstreamermm wrapping

On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 23:12 -0400, José Alburquerque wrote:
> José Alburquerque wrote:
> > Hi Murray.  I'm noticing that there are some things in gstreamer which
> > we haven't contemplated wrapping in gstreamermm yet and I was
> > wondering how we might go about this:
> >
> > 1) In the gstreamer source directory, besides the gst directory (which
> > we've mostly wrapped), there is a libs/gst directory with other
> > directories such as base, check, controller, etc. which are not
> > wrapped (the docs for these are at:
> > http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gstreamer-libs/html/).

If these are useful for something then, yes, they should be wrapped. I
wouldn't bother creating extra directories for them, but you might want
to use doxygen groups in the documentation to group them together. For
instance, see the TreeView group in gtkmm.

But I wouldn't bother wrapping any of this until you have discovered
what an application might want to use it for, and can think of an
appropriate small example in C++.

> > 2) In the gstreamer source directory there's also a plugin directory
> > with other directories (namely elements and indexers) which are also
> > not wrapped (the docs for these are at:
> > http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gstreamer-plugins/html/).

I guess these are just standard plugins. Milosz is working on a way to
get access to specific API of elements (provided by plugins, I believe)
that are discovered at runtime (or expected to be discovered at
runtime). It's a code-generation tool for use by applications, I think,
roughly equivalent to how users of CORBA or COM generate code to use
APIs.

> > 3) The gstreamer gst-plugins-base module has a directory named
> > gst-libs/gst with items (including a few interfaces which I mentioned
> > in post:
> > http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtkmm-list/2008-February/msg00201.html)
> > that may also be beneficial to wrap (the docs for these are found at:
> > http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gst-plugins-base-libs/html/).

Again, this seems to be plugins.

> > Finally,
> >
> > 4) The gst-plugins-base module also has directories named gst and ext
> > which contain gstreamer base plugins (the docs for these are at:
> > http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gst-plugins-base-plugins/html/).
> > (I'm not sure that these should be wrapped, but I thought I should
> > include them in this list for completeness.)

Again.

www.openismus.com