Re: possible to speed up gcc?

I was in a rush and I replied to Rich directly on this but I thought it might
be of interest to the group so here is what I sent to Rich:-

Hello Rich,

   Sorry this is not directly to the gtkmm list but have you tried using the
-J 2 opton when invoking make. This will spread the work over two cores (if
you have four cores you can use -J 4).  This relies on the fact that the .cc
files can be compiled in any order but it would be bad source code if this
were not the case.

Hope this helps

John

Note also that you don't have to have multiple cores to invoke this option,
as the work is spread by make over threads rather than cores; it is just
that the O/S tries to spread the work of threads over multiple cores where
it can.