Re: possible to speed up gcc?

On Sat, 2008-06-07 at 00:01 -0700, Rich E wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been experimenting with Gtkmm in combination with GtkGlextmm, and
> while I like this approach over Gtk, I have already realized how much
> more time I will have to spend compiling; I would say it is about 20
> times slower than Gtk.  Is there any way to lesson this?  Even if
> there are flags that may not be ideal for optimized or debugging code,
> but just to compile quickly and see the results.

compiling C++ is and probably always will be a lot slower than compiling
C - there is just a lot more work for the compiler to do. it gets
particularly bad when there is heavy use of templates, as is true in
sigc++ and gtkmm.

with gtkmm in particular, one trick is to avoid including
<gtkmm/gtkmm.h> in your source files. instead, include
<gtkmm/SomeWidget.h> for all the widgets and classes used in that file.
the effect will not be huge - things will still be slow - but it does
help a little.