ComboBoxEntry question

I want a callback to run when an item in the dropdown box of a ComboBoxEntry is selected or when the Entry generates signal_activate() (new item or pick from a history list). I've connected a handler to ComboBoxEntry::signal_changed(), and it gets called when items are selected, but it also gets called on every character typed in the Entry. Is this the intended behavior? It seems as though every Entry::signal_changed() generates a ComboBoxEntry::signal_changed(). Is there a better way to do what I want?

Thanks,
Ted