[giomm] Why most methods are non virtual ?

Hi,

I am trying to find a way to extend GIO to support my own non standard directory-like and file-like C++ objects. I would like to create specialized implementations of Gio::File and corresponding classes (such as streams) for my objects. My own factory would return either a standard Gio::File from a Gio factory or one of my own Gio::File implementation. But I noticed that most of the methods of Gio classes are non virtual (in glibmm version 2.16.4). Does it mean that I cannot just derive Gio classes and redefine the appropriate methods to use my new object transparently ? If yes, can someone give me some hints on how to implement this kind of polymorphysm with giomm ?

Thanks in advance