Re: Why std::string is used for the file paths?

Filesystems aren't in any particular encoding; there is no such thing as a "string class for file paths". On UNIX a file path is just a sequence of 8-bit characters, for which std::string is suited best, and for which Glib::ustring isn't needed. If any of the mentioned functions would take an Glib::ustring, the ustring would need to be passed to the relevant internal function using ::raw() anyway which would make any UTF-8ness it might or might not have there unneccessary.