Re: Converting a Glib::ValueBase to a derived type

Murray Cumming wrote:
On Tue, 2008-01-29 at 23:48 -0500, José Alburquerque wrote:
I'm wondering, would anyone know how to convert a Glib::ValueBase to one of its derived types (such as Glib::Value<int>) assuming the derived type has been returned from a function as the base class Glib::ValueBase?

Don't do that
( Glib::ValueBase get_something() )

Do this:
  void get_something(Glib::ValueBase& value);

Then it's up to the caller to pass the correct type, and it's up to the
get_something() to complain at runtime if it's not the correct type.

See, for instance, Gtk::TreeModel.

I see; it works better returning value in reference.  Thanks.

-Jose