Re: Vista issues?

I can rule out OpenGL as the problem on Vista. I successfully ran on Vista with an earlier version of VPython that used Windows-specific code rather than gtkmm for the graphics environment in which OpenGL was embedded. (The reason for changing to gtkmm was to simplify cross-platform development and maintenance, which it definitely did until Vista.) Presumably this observation shows that the problem is with pango on Vista? Does anyone have any relevant experience with this?

Bruce Sherwood

Bruce Sherwood wrote:
This may not be a gtkmm issue; maybe it's a gtk issue, or ....?

The beta version of VPython application (Python plus a 3D visualization module; see vpython.org) is a gtkmm project currently running on Windows and Linux. There is a drawing area devoted to OpenGL displays. All works quite well on Windows XP and Ubuntu, for example. But there's something VERY strange on Windows Vista, and I'm hoping someone on this list will recognize where the problem might lie.

Upon the first attempt to display text through OpenGL, there is a 30 second delay while the cpu runs flat out, after which all other aspects of the scene, including additional text items, display fast. And the scene stays fast and responsive, so the rendering per se of text isn't time-consuming, it's the setup to render the first piece of text that is somehow fabulously expensive.

In some programs, the Python computation thread manages to proceed (and may complete long before the rest of the scene appears), but I've seen at least one case in which Python computation was also blocked during that time.

Bruce Sherwood