Re: Performance.

On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 00:41 -0300, Alexandre Moreira wrote:
> Hello, everyone. This is my first post to this list.
>
> I've been using Gtk+ (not Gtkmm) for a while now, but decided to give
> it a try at writing software for lower end computers (Writing desktop
> tools with focus on lightweight and a few useful-but-selected
> features).
>
> The thing is, I keep thinking about trying to use Gtkmm instead of
> Gtk+ but I need to know if there would be any noticeable performance
> hit in an older (as in something around the old -- not dual core --
> 800Mhz to 1Ghz) machines.

when compiled with optimization, 90+% of all gtkmm calls are inlined
into direct calls to their GTK equivalents. there is basically no cost
to using gtkmm compared to GTK.

it is true that signal handling is a bit heavier in terms of the
function call stack (i.e. getting into your handler takes a few more
function calls than it does in GTK), but that comes with the benefit of
type safety and major convenience. the cost of this is absolutely tiny
for the vast majority of programs.

--p