finding original cell background color in TreeView renderer

I have a TreeView. Each column has a custom rendering callback function, which I use to change the color and formatting of the text in each cell as the data changes.

Under certain data conditions, I change the background color of the cell to be red, to get the user's attention. I do this with Gtk::CellRendererText::property_background_gdk() and it works great.

When the error condition clears, I need to set the color back to the default, since using properties like this seems to be "sticky." In other words, that cell will stay red until I change it. The problem I have now is that when I have set_rules_hint(true) for the TreeView, I need to figure out what color this cell should be based on the alternating row colors.

Is there a way to query the TreeView for what a given row's background color "should" be based on the hints? Clearly, it must be down in the implementation somewhere, but is this interface exposed to us?

I know I could query the background of some other cell in the row that didn't change, or maybe stuff the color in the model somewhere, but that feels a little funky to me. Seems like the TreeView must know if a given row is odd or even, and therefore what the color should be.