using GLIBMM_PROPERTIES_ENABLED & co

Hi,

From what I have seen, gtkmm allows a couple of flags to be set during
configure time:

    * --enable-deprecated=no
    * --enable-api-exceptions=no
    * --enable-api-properties=no
    * --enable-api-vfuncs=no
    * --enable-api-default-signal-handlers=no
    * --enable-api-atk=no

From what I understand, by using these defines you change what is included in
the final libs and defines some variables (for example,  I guess that using
the --enable-api-exceptions controls the GLIBMM_PROPERTIES_ENABLED).

This is all nice for the lib, but it is a pain in the a** for the developer.
What am I suppose to do? Litter all my code with #ifdef XXX #else #endif?

I would have understood and found it nice if this was controlled by some
define I can put before including the gtkmm.h or other similar header. But
from what I understand this controls the lib itself. Am I right?

Can I define myself these variables to change the behavior of gtkmm? How are
the users (developers) of gtkmm cope with this if it is determined at compile
time? If some Linux distro decides to use a different set of compile-time
flags, then a gtkmm developer must do a lot of coding just to support all the
possible flag combinations. This looks quite a stopper for using gtkmm.

Thanx,

Johnny