Storing a pointer in Gtk::SelectionData

Hi!

Probably a silly question, but how can I savely store a pointer to an
object in a Gtk::SelectionData. I guess I have to use

Gtk::SelectionData::set (int format, guint8* data, int length)

somehow but I cannot figure out how to store a pointer there in a
portable and save way. I only want to use the SelectionData within one
application (no cross application drag & drop).

Thanks,
Johannes