TreeView column widths

I have a TreeView that starts out displaying N columns. The TreeView is contained in a ScrolledWindow, which is on a page in a Notebook, which lives on the top level Window. The ScrolledWindow is set to POLICY_NEVER on the X axis, and POLICY_AUTOMATIC on the Y.

The user can elect to "hide" certain columns on the TreeView. After they are hidden, though, the rightmost column of the TreeView expands in width to fill whatever space the now-hidden columns used, with the net effect that the TreeView is always the same width.

What I'd like is for the containing widgets all the way up to just get smaller as the columns are hidden (and grow again when they resurface). What's the best approach for this?