problems with gtkmm and windows

I have ubuntu installed on my computer upstairs and gtkmm works just fine on it but i cant figure out how to get it to work on windows. I was wondering first if there was a clearer tutorial than then the one on the gtkmm site.(or can some  one who has completed the process write the steps to getting gtkmm to work on windows xp)

I downloaded Glade/Gtk+ for Win32. then i downloaded gtkmm. i installed all of these in there default places. the tutorial then asks you to typepkg-config --cflags gtkmm-2.4.

when i enter this command it gives me an error like this package gtkmm-2.4 was not found in the pkg-config search path. perhaps you should add the directory containing 'gtkmm-2.4..pc' to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH enviroment variable no package 'gtkmm-2.4.' found.

it does this even if i cd into bin and i restarted my computer

i also have tried to find a file called gtkmm-2.4 i could only find a file with this name with a dll on the end.

if it helps im using windows xp

i also have mingw downloaded if this can be easier while using that compiler instead.

i read some of the other posts about this but it didnt really help much for me at least