Embed a window into a gtkmm application.

Hello. I'm trying to embed an SDL window into a Gtkmm application.

I set SDL_WINDOWID environment variable so that I SDL targets that window
when it creates  the window. I get the Gtk::Window xid with GDK_WINDOW_XWINDOW.
I get a toplevel sdl window instead of sdl drawing to the window.

The problem is that
I don't know when to configure the SDL and create a SDL window. When have I to do that?

When the window is realized? Because with realize it didn't work at all. It created a toplevel window.
Thanks for your help.