Pango::Layout::create ({ImageSurface Cairo Context})

I'm trying to use pango to write text into a PNG file.  I have a
Cairo::Context on a Cairo::ImageSurface which works perfectly well with
graphics, but when I do Pango::Layout::create from this I get a NULL
object.

I have seen in the cairofontmap.h header file that the wrapping around
pango_cairo_font_map_get_default is commented out, so I can't use that
from which to create a Pango::Context.

Ideas anybody?
Thanks in advance.