Re: gtkmm mingw cross compile

I was delighted to find that it is now very easy to install gtk+ and gtkmm on Windows:

"Download the binary installer for the development version of gtk+ and install into C:\MinGW. At http://gladewin32.sourceforge.net, you need the development version, which includes such things as glib, atk, pango, cairo, glade, and fontconfig.

Download the binary installer for the development version of gtkmm and install into C:\MinGW. At http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/binaries/win32 in the gtkmm directory, you need gtkmm-win32-devel-xxxx.exe."

In fact, having chosen C:\MinGW for the installation of gtk+, when I went to install gtkmm the first option I was offered was C:\MinGW. This ease of installation is a big change from Spring 2006 when a colleague struggled mightily to get this working on Windows and never succeeded in showing me how to do it successfully.

Also of possible interest is a note I posted here a couple days ago on producing an installer for my application, for end users who don't have MinGW or gtk installed. And perhaps you would find it interesting to look at the CVS files for VPython at http://sourceforge.net/projects/visualpython, particularly the file MSWINDOWS.txt which attempts to give instructions on how to set up the development environment on Windows for this project, from which the quotation above was extracted.

Bruce Sherwood

David L wrote:
I have been cross compiling gtk apps from Linux to
for win32 for years using mingw, but every time I've
tried to do the same with gtkmm, I've run into one
kind of problem or another.

Can somebody help me improve a script that creates
a Linux -> win32 cross-compiling environment for gtk
to make it work for gtkmm too?

The first thing I need is a plan of attack.  For example,
which things should I try to download pre-compiled?
I've had good luck downloading pre-compiled things
for gtk from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/gtk/v2.8/win32.  They
are a bit old, but they work.  I haven't found the gtkmm
equivalent of the stuff in that directory.  Is there one?

I've been able to download and cross-compile ligsigc++
and get that gtkmm dependency working, but I have
troubles with glibmm.  I downloaded a version
consistent with the glib version I'm using, but when I
try to cross compile it, I get this error:
object.cc:180: error: definition of static data member
'Glib::Object::object_class_' of dllimport'd class

Anyway, if anybody could give me some pointers,
I'd appreciate it.  If I get it working, I'll document
what I did and post it.

Thanks,
          David