maemomm: virtual function overrides

I have a Gtkmm application which uses a custom widget derived from
Gtk::DrawingArea. This widget overrides the virtual functions of the
parent, such as e.g.:

void PlotCanvas::on_realize()
{
  Gtk::DrawingArea::on_realize();

  // do some other stuff . . .
}

This works fine on my Ubuntu Gutsy machine, but when I try to compile
this in the Maemo sandbox, it fails because there is no
Gtk::DrawingArea::on_realize(). Similarly, other such signal handlers are
never called, it seems that they need to be explicitly connected via
their signal proxies.

Since I'm new to Gtkmm, I'd like to know: is this difference due to the
version of Gtkmm in Ubuntu Gutsy being much newer than the version in
Maemo Bora, or is it a core difference between the Hildon and vanilla
versions of Gtkmm? (I imagine it might be the latter, to save code size.)

If the difference is due to the version number of Gtkmm, in which version
did this feature (virtual functions for signals) get included in Gtkmm?
Does the Maemo Chinook version of Gtkmm have overridable virtual
functions?

cheers,

John