VBox and Labels

I have two issues with using Labels in Vboxes (and HBoxes).

Firstly, how do I get the VBox to override the style of the window which
contains it and set the background colour to something else;  I can set the
foreground colour but only if I modify the style of the labels not the vbox.

Secondly, how do I left align the labels within the VBox; currently, they
display centre align as default.