Gtk::Button minor problems

My gtkmm / gtk+ project is running well bar a couple of minor problems to do
with buttons and I wonder whether anyone has any suggestions.  My problems
are :-

1.)   If I click on a button, it responds as it should and my signal
connection activates the appropriate methd.  If, however, I cliock on the
same button without moving the mouse pointer, it doesn't respond no matter
how many times I click.  If I then move away from the button and click
somewhere else and then move back to the button and click, it works again.

2.)  Generally, the buttons work OK, but occasionally a button will stick
down without activating its signal.  I hasve to click on it again to free it
and activate the signal.

It could be that these problems have the same root - I don't know but any
suggestions are welcome.

John