Re: How to force emit of signal attached to built-in widget?

Murray Cumming wrote:
On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 10:33 +0100, Toralf Lund wrote:
Is there any way I cat force an "emit" on the signals of the normal Gtkmm widgets? I mean the signals returned via the signal_<something>() methods? I want to be able to do something like

myButtonWidget.signal_clicked().emit()

(but with other signals, too), only I can't, because the "signal" method returns a Glib SignalProxy (and not a SigC signal), which doesn't have an emit(), as far as I can tell.

You might be able to do it with the C API. It's not generally a good
idea. If you want your signal handler to be called then it's generally
best to just call your signal handler.
I don't. I mean, not conceptually. I want to call all signal handlers that happen to be connected at a given time.

Maybe I'm thinking about this the wrong way, but to me, "just calling the signal handler", doesn't really seem like a great idea anyhow, at least in anything but a very simple setup - as in my experience, if you have two completely separate pieces of code that are supposed to do the same thing, in real life they very often don't - if you know what I'm saying...

- T