Re: Gnome Theme Creator

I think there's a package to switch themes that shows a preview in the components...

If I'm not wrong, I think it is gtk-theme-switcher or gtk2-theme-switcher, and there should be the source code. Better take something already done than reinventing the wheel :)

[]'s

On 8/28/07, Ravi Shanker <ra21vi gmail com> wrote:

On Wed, 2007-08-29 at 01:23 +0300, Mihai Niculescu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For some time I was looking for a gnome application to create Metacity,
> GTK and GDM themes, but I didn't find any. So, I decided to learn GTKmm
> (I have some previous experience with C++) and write an app that can do
> that. Basically, I want the application to be  entirely visual -
> something like  Stardock's SkinStudio for Windows:
> http://www.stardock.com/products/skinstudio/.
>
> My problem is I don't know which way to take:
> 1 - to use a canvas with images to draw all widgets (Window, buttons,
> progress bar, tabs, etc...)
> or
> 2 -  to use real widgets and modify their look using  their methods, for
> example:
>
> modify_style(const Glib::RefPtr<RcStyle>& style

There is a package to view the widgets of the theme. I can't really get
the name (Anyone please). It may be theme-viewer or something. You can
go through the source code for that package to understand how they do
that.
Other thing,  in your theme designer, show all the common/base widgets,
and additional widgets  with their settings. Allow people to edit the
index.theme xml file by source if they want. Show the quick preview of
the work.
People can create pixmaps pieces of corresponding widgets in Image
editor , and the widget properties let them choose the corresponding
pixmaps from FileSystem.
I think these are the basic things required.

Best of luck for a new initiative.
:)

--
Ravi Shanker <ra21vi gmail com>