Gtk::Widget::get_width Caveats?

Hello all,

  I've been trying to use get_width and haven't had much luck.  I'm using it on a Gtk::Label after I update the text, and it just returns 1.  I've tried removing it, changing the text, and then adding it again. Tried wrapping it in various container widgets and using get_width on them. It always comes back with 1 after I update the label text.

  Is there anything I'm missing on the usage of get_width?  Some action required to re-init the width of the widget before getting it?

Thanks for reading,
- John