Re: Equivalent to low-level text draws

On 8/19/07, Paul Davis <paul linuxaudiosystems com> wrote:

> Text measurement with Pango is a bit more complex, because Pango handles
> many, many more writing systems than Windows explicitly acknowledges,

Doesn't matter (as long as I can ignore them), as they aren't used by
the program I'm porting.

> > (And it needs raw measuring; "<B>x</B>" should render / be measured as
> > 8 characters, not 1.)
>
> this is a picky, and IMHO, silly detail to bring up. did you have some
> kind of issue with Windows and this sort of thing?

What?  I was just being very clear that I don't want it processing as
markup.  (The portable code already handles all the markup related
issues.)

> > BTW, why is Cairo even mentioned in
> > http://gtkmm.org/docs/gtkmm-2.4/docs/tutorial/html/ch15.html if it was
> > apparently added in gtk 2.9?
>
> very confusingly, gtkmm-2.4 is an *API* version, not a release version.
> it defines a stable, source and binary compatible API that has been
> maintained from GTK+ 2.something until the present. I don't consider
> this nomenclature ideal, but its what we have.

>From the gtkmm-2.4 docs
---------
Cairo::RefPtr<Cairo::Context> Gdk::Drawable::create_cairo_context  	(
	  	 )

Creates a Cairo context for drawing to drawable .

Returns:
    A newly created Cairo context.

Since gtkmm 2.10:
---------

I can understand if gtkmm-2.4 corresponds to gtk+ 2.9, but having
gtkmm-2.4 correspond to gtkmm 2.10 makes no sense whatsoever.

I tried the clock example from
http://gtkmm.org/docs/gtkmm-2.4/docs/tutorial/html/ch15s07.html , but
that gave the error of

$ g++ *.cc `pkg-config gtkmm-2.4 --cflags --libs` `pkg-config
cairomm-1.0 --cflags --libs`
clock.cc: In member function 'virtual bool
Clock::on_expose_event(GdkEventExpose*)':
clock.cc:26: error: 'class Gdk::Window' has no member named
'create_cairo_context'

I have
ii  libgtkmm-2.4-1c2a 2.10.8-0ubuntu1 C++ wrappers for GTK+ 2.4
(shared libraries)
ii  libgtkmm-2.4-dev  2.10.8-0ubuntu1 C++ wrappers for GTK+ 2.4
(development files