Re: Using CMake

On Fri, 2006-08-11 at 08:57 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:

> The UsePkgConfig macro mentioned on that page is probably more appropriate.

Stupidly this macro, that is well publicized on the website is not in
the distribution.  However, I found a version and tried it and it works
very well.  (Not really surprising since all the hard work is done by
pkg-config :-)  Thanks for pointing this out, I had missed it.

> But after this first disappointing (though superficial) introduction to
> CMake, it doesn't seem worth it to me.

Having tried it out now, I find it easier to work with that Autotools
and with no real loss of functionality -- at least for the
compile/link/test phases.  I haven't tried it for building distributions
yet though so it may fail there.  Actually though, I am finding Waf and
even Rant (though it need work) very promising as Autotools
replacements.  These are based on Python and Ruby respectively and this
makes it a lot easier to create complex builds.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder                +44 20 7585 2200