Gtkmm 2.4 on top of Gtk 2.2?

Does anyone here have any thoughts on whether or not it would be realistic to create a variant of the Gtkmm 2.4 API that would run on top of Gtk 2.2? I mean without support for the widgets that are new in Gtk 2.4 (and 2.6, 2.8 etc...), of course.

The thing is, we have some code written for Gtkmm 2.4 (or the "2.4" API, anyway), and intended for newer Fedora Core and Red Hat Enterprise Linux, that someone now has decided must work on some old Red Hat Linux 9 installation - which have Gtk 2.2. So I'm wondering if it would be easier to back-port Gtkmm than to re-write the application code, or try to upgrade all of Gtk. We might still have to rewrite some code so that it avoids using new widgets, of course, but that's quite all right.

Any thoughts?

(I'll probably try to build and see how far I get, but thought I might ask here before starting...)

- Toralf