notebook api

Hello list,

What do people tend to do about this aspect of the notebook api I wonder?

  const Widget * Gtk::Notebook::get_nth_page(int page_num) const;

If I were to use this to retrieve a widget from a page, how do I know the
type of that widget? Surely it encourages casting? Or is the trick to
keep local typed pointers around and not use that method for much
interesting?

Also, with regards to the right click notebook menu which provides a list
of tabs, what do you do if you want to add a "close tab" option to a
tabs right click menu?

Thanks for any help lads!

Gaz