Questions on Glib::Dispatcher

Hi,

I am trying to write a multithreaded application and got stuck when it comes to the interaction between thread and GUI.

What I want to do ist to read values from my GUI, set them as properties of a thread object and then start that thread.

I am using Glib::Dispatcher for reading the values and my code fragment is something like:

myDispatcher();
myThread.start();

Unfortunately the thread seems to start before the dispatcher has finished its job.

How can I make sure that the dispatcher has finished before I start the thread?
(all my efforts using mutexes ended in deadlocks ...)
When I directly call the funktion that the dispatcher is bound to everything works fine, but I think it is not thread safe.

And then I'd like to know what is the difference between myDispatcher() and myDispatcher.emit()?

Thank you,
FReAK