Re: Gtkmm and C++ book

On 5/20/06, Arthur Maciel <arthurmaciel gmail com> wrote:
I appreciate the answer about my previous topic (interface designer).

By the questions I make here, I believe it is possible to notice I'm
not a proficient programmer. I've read the Gtkmm book online and
comprehended most of the content, but even though, I would like to
know (and this is kind of off-topic) if you recommend any good C++
book that points to object orientation and could serve as a C++
reference, too. I've read a C++ book (Brazilian one), but it is
superficial on many points, and I'm reading Design Patterns (Gamma)
now.
Do you have any other suggestions?

I thank you again.
Regards,
Arthur Maciel

I know there's a short list of books on the gtkmm.org website
(http://gtkmm.org/books.shtml) which includes the Gamma book you
mentioned.  I haven't personally read all of them.
The book I personally use most is 'C++ in a Nutshell' from O'Reilly
(http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/cplsian/), but that's not a 'learning
C++' book at all.  It's really just a reference, so I don't think it's
what you're looking for.  I've also read "Beginning C++" by Ivor
Horton (http://www.apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=218), which is
a decent introductory book, but I'm sure there are better ones.

I've read a bit of Scott Meyers' "Effective C++", which I found really
helpful, but again, I don't think that quite matches the type of book
you're looking for.

So, in short, I don't have a lot to add.

Jonner