Re: Use of any interface designer - is it worthy?

> On 5/18/06, Arthur Maciel <arthurmaciel gmail com> wrote:
>> Hi there.
>> I would like to know from you who have practice working with gtkmm
>> (specially from Murray - I've seen your projects) if you use some
>> program to help you with interface design (like Glade(mm) and Gideon)
>> or if you write your own code, including for the interface design.
>> The fact is I'm trying to create some projects to ipaq 2210 running
>> Familliar Linux and Gtkmm is fully ported, but I was developing using
>> Gideon, and I cannot see the horizon of re-cross-compilation process
>> of updated dependencies of Gideon into the ipaq, in a way I could
>> install it on the pda.
>> In resume, I want to know from you (who own many projects) if writing
>> the whole code is as well productive as using interface design
>> programs.
>
> I don't use an interface designer for my project, and haven't found it
> to be too difficult.  That said, my project is fairly simple, and I
> would recommend using a UI designer instead of writing it manually,
> especially if your UI is not very simple (and I may move there
> eventually too).
> The one question I have about glade / libglade is whether it handles
> UIManager widgets well.

No, it doesn't use UIManager at all. I don't use libglade to define my
menus and toolbars.

A future version of GTK+ will contain a libglade-like API, which will
replace libglade (libglade will continue to work too). At the moment it is
called GtkBuilder. Apparently it will use UIManager directly.

[snip]
> One other point to note is that the GTK+ developers plan to move
> libglade into the core GTK+ library (see
> http://live.gnome.org/LibgladeInGtk).  By the way, looking at the
> page, they have a list of future featues which includes "Support for
> building GtkUIManager based interfaces".  So it looks like I was right
> that it's not currently possible to use UIManager with libglade...

Ah, I should have read this far. You know this already.

www.openismus.com