Custom Icon or Images on Buttons

To All:

            What is the best way to setup an Icon or Image Pool that I can grab custom Icon or Images from in order to place them onto Buttons?  I have looked at themes, Stock Items, and gtkrc files.  However, I am not sure which would be best.

            What I need is to have the ability to create buttons with custom icons on them.  I also need the icons to expand to the full size of the button for different size buttons.  Also, I may have to have different pools to choose from for different languages (I may need different symbols for international uses).

Oh, and I may need to have buttons with an Icon and Text.

Also, could you point me to example code for implementing this?

Thanks,

Bill