Re: Compiling gtkmm Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

> Thanks to Murray, I found this page:
>
> http://live.gnome.org/JhbuildDependencies
>
> about 30 minutes after I futzed around getting gtkmm to build.  I'd
> volunteer to build gnome clean on Breezy and track exactly what needs to
> be installed, but I'm not spending another 3-4 hours compiling everything.
>
> But I did take some notes as I was building things and I thought I'd
> post them on the list in case someone is googling later.
>
> The worst part was getting 'git' installed correctly (Oh, that Linus and
> his sense of humor...) Anyway the moral of the story is:
>
> DO NOT DO THIS: apt-get install git

I installed git from the Ubuntu (Dapper) repositories, and it seems to be
working fine. I'm not on Ubuntu now, but I think it was the git-core
package. Synaptic makes it a bit easy to choose the correct package, by
presenting more informatino.

Do try to mention exact problems, so that people can more easily know
whether they have a solution for you, and so it's easy to find in the
archive.

> Instead, download a copy of git and build it.  And make sure the curl
> headers are installed.
>

> If ~/bin doesn't exist:
> mkdir ~/bin
>
> export PATH=$PATH:~/bin
> Or add ~/bin to your .bash_profile or .profile or what not and source it.
>
> apt-get install docbook-xsl
> apt-get install docbook-to-man
> apt-get install libcurl3-dev
> apt-get install libtiff4-dev
>
> wget http://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/git-1.3.3.tar.bz2
> bunzip2 git-1.3.3.tar.bz2
> cd git-1.3.3
> make
> make install
>
> Stage 15/21 Configuring cairo
> pkg-config can't find libpng.
>
> FIX: cp /usr/lib/pkgconfig/libpng12.pc
> ~/src/gnome2/build/lib/pkgconfig/libpng12.pc

That's a nasty hack. I recommend instead putting this in your .jhbuildrc
file, though I am surprised that it should be necessary:
addpath('PKG_CONFIG_PATH', '/usr/lib/pkgconfig')

(At some point in the last few months, jhbuild stopped using libraries
from /usr by default.)

This is specific to maemo, but it might be helpful too. I've tried to
mention some pragmatic hints. But don't do anything new unless you find
that you need it:
http://www.maemo.org/maemowiki/MaemoWithJhbuild

www.openismus.com