gtkmm application design - Accessing resources such as icons, button images, multi-Language strings, etc...

To All:

            I am working on an embedded project using a touchscreen with gtkmm for all the graphics.  It operates without a window manager with the gtkmm app being the only window.  I have been designing relatively simple menus with buttons, icons, and text.  However, I need to have support for multi-language strings, and also different icons based on the language (I am using ustring, and I am not using Glade).  My question is if there is a standardized way for accessing resources and also how to implement this nicely in C++ to limit the coupling between classes?  In other words, my first thought is to have a global variable/Class that contains all the resources for the application, such as icons, strings, images, etc…  Then all the menus will simply grab the resources from this global class.  However, then all my menus/screens/controls need to know about this global class.  I am curious how others have implemented or solved this issue.

Thanks,

Bill