Re: installing a gtkmm development environment

On Tuesday 02 May 2006 08:41, you wrote:
> I assume this was just a typo, but if not, that should probably be
> --prefix, not --preferences

Correct, I was writing that line from memory...

> In general, I find that the easiest way to set up a development
> environment of gtkmm is with jhbuild.  For a brief overview of using
> jhbuild, you might want to check out
> http://www.gtkmm.org/docs/gtkmm-2.4/docs/tutorial/html/apg.html.  By
> default, jhbuild will checkout and install everything from cvs, but if

Thank you for the reference to jhbuild which I had seen references to - but
not actually seen discussed. I downloaded the information and am reading it.

I will set up such a system, but I am afraid it is not what I really want.

I want to be able to use all the resources in each of the tarballs -
documentation, examples etc. It is nice to have each of the tarballs laid out
in separate subdirectories so that  I can run examples, look a the code, run
demos  -without worrying if the distro left out stuff or put it in some
obscure place that "makes sense" for some reason.

I really would prefer to see what I need to do to get the whole set of
tarballs working... I will try the jhbuild though...

By the way the cairo tarball needs a patch to compile. I found it on google
and used that and it worked.

Mitchell