Re: Website update?

On 6/7/06, Jonathon Jongsma <jonathon jongsma gmail com> wrote:
On 4/27/06, Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 12:34 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > Our website is looking a bit unfashionable these days. Would someone
> > like to play with the CSS and make it look like something from the year
> > 2005? Just CSS for now - I'd prefer not to bother with a whole new
> > system yet.
>
> Is nobody interesting in making us look a little more hip?

Well, I've finally gotten around to doing an implementation of a new
website for gtkmm.  For the most part, the content has not been
changed (there were a few things that I added and a few things that I
shuffled around, but nothing too significant).  So it's essentially
just a facelift.

What I ended up implementing doesn't look much like the mockups I
posted a while back, because although I liked the overall design of
the mockups, I felt they had some pretty significant problems and I
wanted to start fresh.  I ended up liking this new design better,
anyway.  But design is somewhat personal, so you may have a different
opinion...

The new site is located here:
http://jonathon.quotidian.org/gtkmm.org/index.shtml
(be gentle with the server, though.  It's only served on a DSL line for now)

I've changed the colors since I wasn't a big fan of the old colors.  I
also ended up using relatively few images (there's no 'logo' image
like the current website has, and no icons like the mockups had).

Play around with it a bit and let me know what you think.  Especially
let me know what you think of the separation of navigation items into
two groups -- the main group across the top ("home, license, download,
etc") and the "Other Resources" on the sidebar.

I'm also interested in how it looks in different browsers.  I've
tested it in epiphany on Linux, firefox and IE on windows.  I'm aware
that it currently looks awful in IE because I'm using PNG images with
alpha (which IE doesn't support at all).  I'll have to fix that at
some point by either not using alpha or by switching to GIF images.
If you notice layout problems, let me know.

One comment that came up from Writser when I posted the mockups was
adding more information targetted to new developers to explain why
they should use gtkmm.  I think that's a great idea that should be
pursued, but I didn't incorporate any of that into this design yet.

Note: the "Documentation" and "FAQ" links will not work since they
point to the standard gtkmm API / tutorial documentation location
which I haven't uploaded to my staging server.  But it will look
exactly the same as it does now (i.e.
http://gtkmm.org/docs/gtkmm-2.4/docs/) -- I haven't touched that part.

You can trick IE into displaying transparent pngs.  Google does it in
http://maps.google.com.

See http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bobosola/pngtest.htm for details.