Gtkmm/C++ for UI on medical appliances

Greetings to all.
I've been talking on ##C (irc.freenode.com) and I told people I was a
medicine student and would like to integrate medicine and programming.
Someone there suggested me to develop better GUI for medical devices
(like ultra-sonography, magnetic ressonance, tomography, etc...) and
other told me that I shouldn't use C or C++ while developing for
appliances that deals with life; I should just do that if I were an
"experienced programmer". Altough C++ is a swiss-armyknife, I don't
think it could be harmful if just used to deal with user input and
pass data to background hardware control programs.
What do you think? Please tell me if you think this is off-topic -
altough it deals about Gtkmm, maybe you would not like to talk about
it here (I'll move it to the correct place) .

Thanks in advance.
Arthur