Non-Joinable Threads

I'm trying to use threads for a multi-download system. When I create the threads as joinable they work great, but my GUI freezes as it's waiting for it to finish. So when I try to create it as a non-joinable thread the thread never starts. I've been looking for information about threads for a few days but haven't found much.

I'm using the following code to create the thread:

Glib::Thread *const Download = Glib::Thread::create(sigc::mem_fun(Transfer, &CDownload::download), false);

Thanks,
Jeremy Harmon