Re: gtkmm/glade tutorial?

On 7/20/06, Greg Schussman <schussman slac stanford edu> wrote:

 Hi.

 I want to get started with gtkmm together with libglademm.   I'm looking at
the page:

   http://www.gtkmm.org/

 which says:

   "... You can create user interfaces either in code or with the Glade User
Interface designer, using libglademm. There's extensive documentation,
including API reference and a tutorial."
 But following the "extensive documentation" link, and searching for
"tutorial" gives no links.

Well, the "extensive documentation" claim was regarding documentation
in general, not specifically about using libglademm, but I can see how
it might be read that way :)

links (for about 4 hours now).  But I seem to hit several dead ends: finding
only C (not C++) examples, or examples which are  C++ but don't use
libglademm, or finding c++ snippets which do use libglademm but aren't
complete enough examples to actually compile and run.   In the manual at:

http://www.gtkmm.org/docs/gtkmm-2.4/docs/tutorial/html/ch21s02.html

 I see:

   "The basic example in the libglademm package shows how to load a Glade
file at runtime and access the widgets with libglademm."

 which sounds exactly like what I'm looking for, but

   %rpm -qa | grep -i glade

 gives me:

   libglade-devel-0.17-16.2.1
   libglade2-devel-2.5.1-4.fc5.1
   libglademm24-devel-2.6.2-1
   glade2-2.12.1-2
   libglade-0.17-16.2.1
   libglademm24-2.6.2-1
   libglade2-2.5.1-4.fc5.1
   libglade2-debuginfo-2.5.1-4.fc5.1

 and exhaustively perusing that list via:

   rpm -ql  package_with_glade_in_its_name

 says nothing about basic (with the exception of window-palette-basic.png in
glade2-2.12.1-2).
 Any help would be tremendously appreciated!

I don't know if redhat / fedora (or whatever RPM-based distro you're
using) actually installs the examples with the libglademm rpm or not
(I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't -- Ubuntu / Debian doesn't),
so you might need to get them from the libglademm source.

You can browse the libglademm examples in CVS here:
http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/gnomemm/libglademm/examples/

or you can just download the libglademm source package ( e.g. from
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/bindings/2.14/2.14.2/sources/ ) if you
want to compilable files to play with.

have fun!

--