Re: Glib::Refptr and circular references

Thanks for the link.

On 7/12/06, Nickolai Dobrynin <ndobrynin gmail com> wrote:
Matt,

 The following should be helpful:

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gobject/gobject-memory.html

 Regards,

 Nickolai

On 7/10/06, Matt Hoosier <mwhoosier gmail com> wrote:

 Hi all,

The occasion of using a Glib::Refptr from gtkmm's API recently reminds
me about an old question. I've been wondering for some time now how
the GObject-using world deals with the problem of circular references.
The classic example would be a node of a (circular) linked list which
is also pointed to by application code. Once the app drops its ref to
the node, at least one more reference (the internal back-edge from the
 linked list) still exists.

Now, I know that Glib has a special-built linked list data structure
to prevent this elementary example, but it's fairly easy to imagine
scenarios where this happens unintentionally. Is this simply a known
limitation, accompanied by the stern warning to be careful in one's
design not to introduce circular references?

Apologies if there's already a manifesto about this somewhere in the
Glib tutorial, but I didn't find it.

--Matt