Gtk::window.present() doesn't always present

Hello everybody,

I tried to describe my problem as short as I could...

I'm writing a gui for our orbital welding machine which my company is
building. Everything went really well but now I'm stuck.

Our gui consists of several modular gtkmm programs communicating through
an ipc message queue. All programs start without showing any window. They
can send a message to each other to present themselves to the user when
necessary.

The first time they present a window it works fine. But after they've
hide and later want to show themselves again the window doesn't popup.
Actually, they do popup but only after I click with the mouse, anywhere
on the screen.

I've googled around and found a few hints, like the window manager only
wants to popup windows the user explicitly asked for with a mouse click,
to prevent stealing focus from other windows. Probably this is why there
exists a function present with time stamp...  I tried to kill the window
manager but this doesn't make any difference.

If anybody could help me out, even with some hints to search for, I
would be very thankful.

Greetings,

Harm Hamberg
Dynamicc Welding, The Netherlands