Re: main window not redrawing after dialog closes

On 2006-01-25 (wed) Rob Benton wrote:

> In my main window I open a filechooser dialog then close it, set the
> mouse cursor to Gdk::WATCH, call a function, then change back the
> cursor.  The problem is after the dialog closes the main window does not
> immediately redraw and the cursor does not immediately change.  It's not
> until my function is nearly finished that these things happen.  What
> could be my problem here?  Maybe I'm not understanding the way X events
> fit in with non-X operations.

I guess that probably this method causes gui-freezing.
>          _member_widget->read_from_xml(_filename);
>          // enable menu items

Every program should have different thread for non-gui operations especially
if it makes, a lot of computing/data processing.
Read about Glib::Thread
http://www.gtkmm.org/docs/glibmm-2.4/docs/reference/html/classGlib_1_1Thread.html
and all other resources available on Internet about multi-threaded
applications.