RE: cairo-xlib-surface.c:401 _swap_ximage_to_native: Assertion `N OT_R EACHED' failed.

> Suddenly, after the 1st of the year, I try to resume work, build the app,
> and get a core dump and the Cairo exception message, with the stack trace:
>
> cairo-xlib-surface.c:401: _swap_ximage_to_native: Assertion `NOT_REACHED'
> failed.

this is *not* an exception.

its caused by a piece of code in cairo uses the assert() macro to detect
fatal conditions. if they are detected, the macro calls abort() and
the program is killed.

it is completely different from the C++ exception mechanism, except that
both end up using abort() under various circumstances.