Re: cairo-xlib-surface.c:401 _swap_ximage_to_native: Assertion `NOT_R EACHED' failed.

I was under the impression that g++ automatically enables exception
support when compiling c++ source code.  Are you sure that you were
compiling without exception support at first?  Are you sure it wasn't
a different change that caused the core dump?  It doesn't look like an
exception-related error to me (but I could be wrong).