cairo-xlib-surface.c:401 _swap_ximage_to_native: Assertion `NOT_R EACHED' failed.

Recently, I've determined that my gtkmm application needs to be able to use
C++ exceptions (mainly to handle persisten C++ object stores via another
library).

Once I turned on g++'s -fexceptions option on the compile line, rebuilt,
re-linked and ran the application, it core dumps with the following error
message:

cairo-xlib-surface.c:401: _swap_ximage_to_native: Assertion `NOT_REACHED'
failed.

I've never seen this before, and I've never even heard of the cairo library,
tho I deduce that it's a fairly low level X thing.

Anyone have any additional information on this error message?  Does gtkmm
even support C++ exceptions?

Thanks,
    Erik.