treeview row shading

This is avtually more aof a general gnome/gtk behavior question, so soffy if it's OT for this list but I'm already signed up here so I figured I'd try here first:)

On certain treeviews, namely the Gnome desktop file mananger and most FileChooser dialogs, given a typical black on white theme, the treeview every other row is shaded darker and with some blue. I use a very dark white on black theme, where the bg on most of my apps is black. In this scenario, I dont see the row shading since it tries to make it darker. I would like to know 2 things:

First, I'd like to know how to choose which treeviews use this row shading and which do not. GAIM for example, doesnt use the shading in its rows. Maybe its strictly for file lists, I don't know

Second, and this is what I'm really after, is how to set the method that is used to alter the base color. I would like it to *lighten* the shaded rows instead of darken, since my base rows are black. Even if it's hard coded in gtk, I would be willing to alter it at that level. I like black theme, but I love the alternate line shading.

Doug
--
http://nostar.net/