Deriving from Gtk::Dialog, setting parent, and Glade

Hello all:

My program currently has a class derived from Gtk::Dialog to implement
a preferences dialog. This class provies a static create() method to
initialize the dialog from a Glade file (using get_widget_derived).

Anyway, I need the preferences dialog to see my main window as its
parent. I can't seem to find a way to initialize a dialog in this
manner and provide it with a parent. So far the only idea that's come
to mind is extracting the vbox that contains the dialog's contents and
putting that into a dialog I create. This would work just fine, I
think (idea came as I was drafting this e-mail), but I'm wondering, is
it the "correct" way to accomplish my goal?

Thanks,
Michael

--
mouse, n: a device for pointing at the xterm in which you want to type.
                -- Fortune