Gtk::Window as a child widget

Hello,

  I'm very new to gtkmm programming and not very advanced with GTK+
programming in general, so forgive me if the question I am going to ask
is stupid/known/etc.
  I'm working on an application (using gtkmm and glademm) which has
in its main window a horizontal panel with the left part being a
Gtk::TreeView and the right part a Gtk::ScrolledWindow. The application
should respond to user selecting leaves in the tree by showing a
different page of widgets in the right-hand scrolled window. So it
should work similar to a notebook, with the navigation part being the
tree. In the application glade file I created windows (popup type)
which are supposed to be loaded from the tree selection changed signal.
Everything works fine until I try to add the Gtk::Window loaded from
glade to the scrolled window at which point the application aborts with:

Gtk-ERROR **: file gtkcontainer.c: line 2447
(gtk_container_propagate_expose): assertion failed: (child->parent ==
GTK_WIDGET (container)) aborting... Aborted

I've seen anjuta do something similar for its preferences window, so
it's clear that I'm doing something incorrectly. I tried reparenting
the loaded "page" window, but then I'm getting the following error:

(agent:26975): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_reparent: assertion
`widget->parent != NULL' failed

(agent:26975): Gtk-WARNING **: Can't set a parent on a toplevel widget

Is what I'm describing doable at all? Thanks in advance for any help,

best regards,

marek