TreeModel::Iterator invalid

I am trying to use the following line of code to increment the value of a
column.

        (*item_iter)[m_Columns->m_value] = (*item_iter)[m_Columns->m_value]
+ 1;

   item_iter  is an iter and m_Columns is a set of columns in the TreeModel.

My probelm is that his works on the first occasion and then the iter becomes
invalid.  What code do I need to use to make the iter persist ?